Healy Pass to Redearth Creek

Sometimes, it's fun to mix things up and try something a bit different.

I don't do much light touring, as I don't have the gear and in general, when I want to go into the backcountry, it's for the purpose of seeking turns. However, Greg and his splinter group of Ramblers were planning on doing the Healy Pass - Redearth Creek shuttle trip (31.5km one-way) and invited us along,. It seemed like a good opportunity to be sociable and see what I could do on a fatter set of skis.

Skinning up at the trailhead behind the Sunshine gondola station

The Healy Pass side of the tour is well known to me. I'd been here a couple of times in the winter (once in whiteout conditions) and another couple of times in the summer. It's a nice steady uphill to the pass, which worked well for the gear I was using (ScottyBob BobTails and tail-less skins).

Out of the forest

It was nice to see some snow for a change, as Kananaskis Country has been blasted with wind this winter. Visibility wasn't perfect, but it was good enough to make the setting feel like winter (as opposed to a fog), and the ski down to Egypt Lake shelter was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, that's where my fun would end.

Massive hoarfrost

Greg ripping it up

Cordula surprised by the paparazzi

Yoko being her usual reckless self

Aki with control

Lunch at the Egypt Lake Shelter

We were finally greeted by some sun once we got down off the pass, so we had lunch at the shelter before the long trudge along Pharaoh Creek to Redearth Creek.

There are no more photos because I was too busy trying to keep up with the people with the correct gear for the area. However, I did get one more icy run at the end of the trail down to the parking lot, where we had left a car that morning.

endomondo route

No comments:

Post a Comment