Banff Mountain Film Festival - November 3, 2012

Lots of films and a presentation by Wade Davis.


Mountains in Motion

A bit of Canadian Rockies self promotion. Beautiful scenery, but a bit dizzying due to the timelapse photography.

Untamed Americas: Mountains

A documentary about the variety of wildlife that lives along the great divide. High production value, but a little slow.

Of Souls+Water - The Shapeshifter

I don't find mountain biking and whitewater kayaking movies to be particularly interesting. This is one of the latter.

Non Cosi Lontano - Not That Far

I sometimes tell people that I don't like to travel, and that I moved to Canmore specifically so that the things I love to do are within driving distance of my home. This movie reminds me of this thinking.

Gone Curling

A cute movie about outdoor curling in New Zealand.

Ernest

I like these little character pieces.

Crossing the Ice

One of my favourite films of the festival. Two australian guys, who have never skied before, attempt to ski to the south pole and back.

La Voie Bonatti

Two guys climbing three of Walter Bonatti's routes. If I recall, the first one they climbed using the same gear. I'd rather see a documentary about Bonatti than a movie about two guys climbing his routes.

Bear

Another silly PSA.

One Step Beyond

Some of the consequences of living a life of mountain sports.

Magic Bean

Trad climbing in what seems to be a sport climbing stronghold.

Wade Davis: Into The Silence



Wade Davis goes into the backstory of the Mallory expedition on Everest. He uncovers a lot of interesting facts and anecdotes, but I felt as though perhaps I would have been better served by reading his book Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory, and the Conquest of Everest.

Bear 71

Not sure how to describe this, as it wasn't really a film, but more like a symphony where the conductor has to make choices on what music to play. Very interesting though, and poignant.

Into Iceland's Volcano


Another high production value documentary about the Volcanos in Iceland. Very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment