Summit of Mount Lady MacDonald

I finally summited Mount Lady MacDonald!

One of the things I miss the most about Canmore is the ability to walk out of my house and get on some interesting hikes (without having to drive). Mount Lady MacDonald is a popular hike, and by popular, I mean I saw about 15 people on the trail.

Wild flowers are in bloom!
The last time I had been on Mount Lady MacDonald, it was after having recently moved to Canmore, and there was still ice along the final ridge to the summit. I did not summit on that day.

This day was close to perfect, with a number of people both heading to and returning from the peak, so I decided to give it a try.

Jeremy, I thought of you when I saw this (a ramp that ends with a big dropoff).
There are two exposed sections on the ridge. The first is a long section that can be traversed by keeping your hands along the top of the ridge while your feet navigate small footholds. The second is a short section that can be passed by straddling the ridge. Both proved exciting but easy.

Photo from the summit, looking back at the ridge used to arrive here.
I spent some time on the summit, enjoying the sense of accomplishment and also soaking in the views.

My house is down there!
On the way down, I ran into Greg and Dennis! They, along with Jeanine and Geoff, did the ESE ridge of Mount Lady MacDonald, which is an exposed scramble / 5.5 route. We went for beers and food at the Iron Goat to celebrate the day!

https://www.endomondo.com/users/3101909/workouts/968129354

No comments:

Post a Comment