East End of Rundle

Somehow, I've never topped out on the south summit of Mount Rundle.

The first time I went up EEOR, I didn't realize that the other summit was a tiny bit higher than the east summit (maybe by a metre or two), so I missed an opportunity there.

The second time, I didn't even make it past the cliff band.

As a shoulder season hike, I didn't feel that it warranted a nice day in the middle of the summer, so here I was, trying to summit on a late fall day after two dumps of snow had already fallen.

First view of Ha Ling. Note the snow line on Grotto.

The sun had yet to rise above Ha Ling as I started up. There were a few cars at Goat Creek, but Ha Ling looked pretty snowy and Goat Creek trail itself was closed, so I wasn't sure where those folks were going.

There was barely any snow below treeline. But once the white stuff started appearing, it felt like full-on winter conditions. Getting past the headwall was straightforward, but later on I would be happy to have my ice axe on the way back down.

Panorama from the east summit. The south summit is the bump on the left.

Making my way along the ridge from the east to the south summit was tricky as there was a lot of snow and some hidden ice to contend with. I got to within 30m of the south summit, but had to turn back due to the sketchy conditions.

Too much snow and ice to reach the south summit safely.

On the way back down, I ran into several groups, none of which looked prepared enough to go beyond my high point. Still, it was a reasonable day in an impressive place. Hiking season may be at an end soon, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment