Mount Lipsett

Highway 40 between Kananaskis Lakes Trail and Highwood Junction is still open to vehicular traffic (even though it's been snowing regularly near the Highwood Pass and I went skiing the weekend before), so now is a good time to check out the hikes along that stretch of road.

Parking lot / trail head for both Mount Lipsett and Mist Mountain
I'd never even heard of Mount Lipsett before, and didn't realize that it was in the Copeland book, but Laureen suggested it and I'm always up for new places.

The hike itself is very easy as it does a very (VERY) gradual switchback up the east side of Mount Lipsett. Once you get out of the trees, the scenery is of rolling hills and brief spots of rocky outcrops.

Summit of Mount Lipsett, with Mist Mountain towering above in the background
The terrain here looks very inviting for skiing. Too bad the trail head is 25km from either highway closure.

Or maybe this is the summit of Mount Lipsett
One has the option of bushwhacking back down to the highway from here, but we took the trail back to the parking lot.

HDR practice for Roger
For Roger: this was my first pass at creating an HDR image using the 3 raw files I supplied to you. If I were to spend more time on it, I'd probably try to increase the contrast of the foreground a bit more.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I don't know why that third photos has screwed up colours.

    ReplyDelete