Middle Sister

On the way out of the city, I saw the aftermath of this:

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100926/CGY_fatal_rollover_100926/20100926/?hub=CalgaryHome

When I drove by, I could see pieces of the car strewn all over the highway, and what looked to be a body covered by a tarp lying on the road. While it saddens me that it appears as though a seat belt might have helped prevent the death, I am glad that this car did not collide with any other cars and cause even more deaths.




Akemi and I had attempted Middle Sister a few years ago, but were turned back by ice along Stewart Creek. This was in the springtime, so I was hoping I would fare better in the fall. The recent weather would surely help the situation.

Sunrise over the Middle Sister trailhead
I got to the trail head about 15 minutes prior to sunrise, and the colours were spectacular.

The trail is fairly easy until you get to the cirque below Big Sister, and even then it's not bad as a good trail has been carved out of the scree slopes. In a few spots, the scree was quite sparse, revealing a smooth slab which would be problematic if icy.

Finally purchased a fully detached home in Canmore (it's a fixer upper)
The views from the summit (2769m) are quite impressive, and makes everything along the south side of the Canmore corridor appear quite small. I was looking down on Three Sisters Pass and Ha Ling.

Spots of larches in Canmore
Unfortunately, Big Sister remained clouded over the entire time I was on the summit, so I eventually gave up and started heading back down.

From left to right - Middle Sister, Little Sister, Grotto Mountain, Wind Ridge (this is a 94 image panorama which took about 10 minutes to shoot)
Of course, by the time I was half way down, the sun came out to taunt me.

Baby Goat
On the way back down Stewart Creek, I almost ran into a momma goat and her baby. I carefully walked past, then took a few shots from about 50 feet away.

Momma Goat

No comments:

Post a Comment