Canmore

My first time home after moving to California.

About a year ago, I was faced with an interesting question. Which is more important, loving where you live, or loving where you work? I had given the former a try, and it worked for a while, but it was time to try the latter.

Things have been going very well in California (aside from the occasional difficulties resulting in moving to a new country with new laws), but I was still anxious to come back home and see how my friends (and my house!) were doing.

Nicely groomed trails near Lake Louise
Skiing was to be the main activity during this vacation. As avalanche conditions were very spotty (as they normally are, but perhaps even more tricky this season), we decided to limit ourselves to cross country and resort skiing.

It was good to see the mountains again
We also managed to get in a few days with friends and family, both while skiing and other more sedentary pursuits.

Still one of the best decisions I've ever made, even though I can't enjoy it as often as I would like
We spent a lot of time with Frank and Tiiu, who were gracious to open up their home to us for meals and internet access. The lack of internet (in any form, home or cell data) made organizing our schedule quite awkward.

Curiously, all of the guests in their home came from California.

Peter Lougheed, an old favourite
Initially, we had forgotten what real winter was like, but we quickly adapted and enjoyed the clean, crisp air. A physiological change which I noticed in myself is that it took a lot more activity to begin sweating than I remembered, perhaps as a result of adjusting to the warmer temperatures in California.

The power lines

A worthy view from the fire lookout
The house is now empty, but we'll be back in the spring, to spend more time with our friends and the mountains.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you guys got some decent skiing in on your vacation! It was great to see you two.

    It will be interesting to see if Seyil's new evolutionary adaption will improve his race time in Calgary. Hope to see you in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete