Healy Pass and Monarch Ramparts

Benjy and I hiked up to Healy Pass on Saturday.

We were hoping to run into Angie, Joanne, and Camille, hiking out of Egypt Lake. However, I wasn't sure what our timing was going to be like, so we made no firm plans.

I've been here both in the summer and winter, and after the whiteout conditions we faced this past winter, it was nice to be able to see my surroundings. Wildflowers were in bloom and apart from some scattered dark clouds, it was a beautiful day.

Pink indian paintbrush, not very common (red ones are far more common)

We started the day early, 9am at the Bourgeau parking lot, and as a result we didn't see many people on the trail. We did see a couple of large groups hiking in on our way out, however.

Out of the forest, heading up to the pass

With snow still lingering in spots (especially along the Monarch Ramparts), mosquitoes were very bad. The wildflowers, however, were fantastic higher up near the pass.

An explosion of colour in the meadow

Once we got to the pass, we had lunch then relaxed for a bit before I set off solo along the Monarch Ramparts with just my camera and tripod. I only went about a kilometre and a bit in, but the terrain was quite friendly and I will try following it to the end some other day.

Big boulder on the way up to Monarch Ramparts

Unfortunately, the tarns along the Monarch Ramparts were a muted grey / blue colour, not the vibrant blue I saw last summer.

A view of the cirque

In the end, we were not able to meet up with the others (but apparently missed them by only 15 minutes). We jogged most of the way back down to the car and then had some fantastic Thai food at a new place in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment