Skaha

Ray and I had originally planned to go to Skaha in May, but at the time, the forecast was quite poor so I bailed and we decided to try again in the fall.

We had decided to give Thanksgiving a try, but as the date came up, the forecast was very poor again. At this point, though, I didn't care, and I wanted to get out of Calgary regardless. It was a good thing, as we got 1.5 good days of climbing and a day visiting wineries in the Okanagan region during our rain day.

When we got to the campsite late Friday night (around 12:30am), the wind was howling off of Lake Skaha and setting up camp was quite awkward and difficult. The next morning, I saw lots of fallen branches and debris.

Ray on Mysterious Semblance (Elusive Edge area)
Saturday's plan was to do Logan's Run, but as the routes in that area are a bit stiff for warming up, we stopped by the Elusive Edge area first. I did Climbing with Elvis (5.10a sport) and Golden Pie Crust Award (5.10a sport).

Nicolas on Logan's Run (Great White area)
We all did Logan's Run (5.10b), and as Ethan was coming down after cleaning the route, it started sprinkling so we decided to call it a day.

Ray's ever helpful advice to inexperienced climbers ("go up")
That night, the winds picked up again, and I'm pretty sure I saw one tent tip over.

Campfire overlooking Skaha Lake
The next day, the rains started in the morning and did not give the impression of letting up, so we decided to have a winery day. We visited 4 wineries and I brought back a bunch of fruit wines and dry reds.

Ray on Ready To Strike (Diamondback area)
Our last day was to be a half day, but the weather was beautiful so the hike in was definitely worthwhile. My goal was to do Ready To Strike (5.10a trad), and it was a fantastic experience. I was definitely scared in a couple of places, and I sat on gear (which I never do), but I plan on going back and doing it clean.

Nicolas watching Ray
With my nerves frazzled, I called it a day and Nicolas and I drove back to Calgary.

3 comments:

  1. 10a trad! now that's rad! can you throw out a quick description of the route?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First section is face climbing along two bolts to a roof. The roof takes a #5 Zero (if I recall) and has a jug over the lip. After pulling through, it is mostly hand / fist jamming up a dihedral all the way to the top, with two good ledges for rests.

    At one point, I put in a #1 Link as a panic piece as my last piece was maybe 10 feet below and I was dangling a bit with no feet. My new favourite cam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! My hands literally starting sweating reading that route info. It's been too long since I've stuck in some gear. Sounded like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete